Friday, April 18, 2008

A New York state of mind

Emily editorial

The weather report for today:

Friday

77° F | 54° F
25° C | 12° C

Seeing that it was going to be near 80 degrees today, it was only natural that I would dress for the occasion. Very excited for warm (very overdue) weather, I rummaged through my closet to find my tank tops (packed away in my summer collection box) and my last season's skirt to wear with my flip flops. The sheer fact that it was no longer in the 30s, I jumped at the chance to trade in my winter coat for my sandles.

I've realized, over the past 2 1/2 years living in New York, that I just might be the only one that jumps at the chance for springtime wardrobe. Mabye it's the California girl in me, but 50 degrees is definitely warm enough to at least bust out the flip flops. Especially after endless months of this evil called winter. At the bus stop this a.m., I am the outcast as everyone is still sporting their feather-infused winter insulators.

Before, my naive self would have thought that ok, Emily, you are the only one in this insane city who caught the weather report this a.m. However, I know now that is not the case. New Yorkers have some sort of fascination or fear ( I can't figure it out quite yet) of leaving their winter coats at home. Realizing this moment at the bus stop, I paid attention to the New Yorkers on my commute to work. 3 tourists (I'm completely assuming and generalizing that they were) and myself, were the only ones sporting a non-coat and/or flipflops. On the flipside, I picked out way-to-many parkas to count, 15 fall-style coats, 3 people with scarves, everyone minus the tourists in pants. Warm weather makes people happy... maybe it's just me.

Hey New York, heads up, it's time to ditch the winter parkas and check the weather report. FYI- 80 degrees means that it's gonna be a warm one, and call me crazy but there are no signs of a winter blizzard scheduled to hit Manhattan anytime soon.

So smile and enjoy the sun! I guarantee, you'll be a lot happier if you do!

The culprits:

The last seasons outfit being sported today (bikers and peace sign not included)


What the majority of New Yorkers are wearing today minus the furry boots. But I'm sure I can find people who are wearing this complete outfit today.
(No camera so we can thank google images for this)

Update: My point here has been completely validated. Arriving to work, my (female) co-workers were sporting springtime weather. A quick discussion later confirmed that it is indeed spring, and that New Yorkers indeed have no idea.

2 comments:

nicole aka gidget said...

i find my self a little annoyed at how obsessively I check the weather report... but I'm just like you, waiting to pounce on a 50 or 60- degree day with flip-flops!!

The Thomas Kidlets said...

Flip flops all the way! I LOVE it!!