Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Our San Francisco treat

One thing that has been the hardest thing for me to do, has been to negotiate with Giancarlo to move back to California... one
day. Well, San Francisco convinced him. It's no So Cal, but hey it's California. This trip we actually took some of our vacation time to explore the city. I've been there several times, but this is the first time that Emily-the-tourist got to hang out. We did a whooole lot walking, and to my knowledge we mastered the public transportation system.

*Correction- Giancarlo mastered the public transportation system, I followed. Either way, we arrived where we needed to go. On Sunday we had to sadly check out of hotel at the Hyatt on Fisherman's warf, and check in to our less-than-stellar room at hotel #2. Not sure if I should give the name, but let's just say that on arrival we had to call for someone to come open the door to check us in.

The hotel looked great on Hotels.com, and we've always lucked out with great deals, not so much this time. But let me just say, this wasn't a dump.. it was a fairly decent place. Locks on the doors, bathroom actually in the room (I say this because I have had hotel rooms where the bathroom wasn't located in your room) but I made the request for the bathroom when we booked, so all good. There was also two security doors in the front, even if nobody is up there to open them for you if you don't have a key (which they give you when you check-in) and european elevators (which, as we found out, will only hold two small-middle sized people and 1.5 luggages, round-trip anyone?!) I chalk it up to adventures in traveling.

But aside from our hotel, San Francisco is a beautiful city. We ventured out to Fisherman's Warf many times, went to Ghiradelli square (fyi- they give free chocolate samples!) walked around Union Square, Chinatown, rode (many times) the Cable cars (another fyi- with the MUNI 3-day pass you can ride the cable cars for free... alll...day...long) and also the above ground historic street cars which later we found out to have a facinating history behind them. http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfleet/histcars.php

The street cars are streetcars from cities all over the U.S. and the World (We rode on the one from Italy!) from the 1960's era. Each street car has its personal history written inside of it (just look to up past the ads when you ride) and this too is included in the 3-day pass.

We also left the day before the Olympic torch run, which I guess this year... it was OK to miss. But we did catch the set-up and all the protests.


Shots of San Fran:


I see a seagull by the seashore!


Tourista


I double-dare you to rent a stick-shift


My ride


Go Padres! (And for the record, I did try to get tickets. I even made Giancarlo grab my Padres shirt from my apartment and bring it to San Fran with him but it was Giants opening day, and well... tickets were TOO expensive for me to buy and have beer thrown on me for being a Padres fan.)


Lunch


Dinner

On a final note, this one is for you dad- Camp Provansal-Pacheco SF style. Our fresh baked bread from Boudin, Trader Joe's two-buck-chuck and some goat cheese for our dinner! Can you tell I'm counting down to Italy?!

camp Provansal-Pacheco


Blogging and participating

For all the fun pictures, check it: http://flickr.com/photos/emilyprovansal/sets/72157604556001841/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nicole aka gidget said...

While I do hope to visit you in Italy, I can say for sure that we'll visit you in SF if you live there some day. We also love that city... we spent our first anniversary there (sigh)!

Steve C. said...

Nice streetcar.


SC April 4, 2010.